The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) estimates that 57 million homes
still contain lead based paint.
Lead can be inhaled from paint dust or can be consumed by small children that may eat paint
chips. Small children and pregnant women are especially vulnerable to poisoning.
Lead based paint on walls does not pose a hazard if it is in good condition, however if the paint is pealing or otherwise deteriorating, it can be very dangerous and should be dealt with by a certified professional.
In 1994 legislation was passed that requires home owners of homes built before 1978 to
disclose to the buyer that there may be lead based paint in their home.
If you are buying a home that was constructed before 1978, your real estate agent should inform you
of this risk.